Woollahra Council Community Garden Policy (includes verge gardens)
Council supports the planting of verge gardens which make a positive contribution to the local streetscape, provided property owners receive consent from Council and maintain the verge outside their property in line with the consent conditions.
The Verge Garden Installation Application Form has full details of all requirements.
Council adopted the Community Gardens Policy in 2011 with the inclusion of Community Verge Gardens.
If you're thinking about installing a verge garden please consider the following:
- A species list of proposed plants must be submitted with your application
- Avoid plants that will grow to more than 1 m high when mature
- We encourage the use of local native ground covers and small shrubs (available from the Randwick Community Nursery)
- Avoid having stakes, guide wires, irrigation and raised edges such as bricks and fences
- Support from neighbours is required when applying
- The design of the garden must ensure adequate clearance for items such as: existing street trees and structures, access to the road from the footpath, placement of rubbish bins and car doors opening
- Ensure you can commit to maintaining the verge garden over the long term.